Hear about the Trail

THE VILLAGE

View Freeport Heritage Trail - The Village in a larger map

1. Old First Parish Burial Ground & Meetinghouse

At the corner of Lower Main Street & Meetinghouse Road is the site of Freeport's original meeting house. The meeting house was built in 1774, when Freeport was still part of North Yarmouth.  The cemetery remains and contains some of the oldest grave stones in Freeport. Listen to the audio for more details. [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Old-First-Parish.mp3|titles=Old First Parish - Rev. Peter Heinrichs] ___________________________________________

2. Grove Street School

The Grove Street School, located on the corner of Grove Street and Maine Street, was designed by noted Maine architect John Calvin Stevens. It serves today as the town hall. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Grove-Street-School-J-Davis.mp3|titles=Grove Street School by John Davis] ___________________________________________

3. Mallet Employee Houses

In the 1880s, Edmund Buxton Mallet, Jr. established many enterprises in Freeport, including a shoe factory, quarry and stone works, and a grist mill. In response to a need for housing for his employees, he initiated a program of building employee residences. Several examples of these houses still stand on Depot Street, once known as Oak Street,  as you approach West Street. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Mallet-Houses-M-Collins.mp3|titles=Mallet Employee Houses by Mac Collins] ___________________________________________

4. Harrington House

Now the home of Freeport Historical Society, Harrington House at 45 Main Street was originally built in 1830 by Freeport merchant, Enoch Harrington, for his new wife, Eliza. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Harrington-House-S-W-Rand.mp3|titles=Harrington House by Sally W Rand] ___________________________________________

5. Mallet Office Building & Enterprises

E.B. Mallet, Jr. realized the business potential of Freeport in the 1880s and moved here after inheriting an estate from his uncle. The Fassett-designed office building, located where Mill Street intersects and becomes Depot Street, was the main headquarters of Mallet's various enterprises. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Mallet-Offices-G-Denny.mp3|titles=Mallet Office & Enterprises by George Denny] ___________________________________________

6. Bartol Library

Housing retail space today, this building at the corner of Nathan Nye & Main Streets is named for Barnabus Henry Bartol, a succesful New York and Philadelphia mechanical engineer and businessman born in Freeport. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bartol-Library-V-Lowe.mp3|titles=Bartol Library by Vicki Lowe] ___________________________________________

7. LL Bean

Leon Leonwood Bean operated an apparel business with his brother Ervin in the early 20th century. This and L.L.'s creation of the Maine Hunting Shoe led to the founding of the company that bears his name, LL Bean.

Jameson Tavern

Codman Tavern c. 1900

Codman Tavern c. 1900

Located at 115 Main Street. Dr. John Angier Hyde built this impressive, Federal style, two and one-half story house in 1795. It now operates as Jameson Tavern. Listen to the audio for more details. [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jameson-Tavern.mp3|titles=Jameson Tavern Audio - Earle Shettleworth]

The Bliss/Means Tavern

The Bliss/Means Tavern was located on the southeast corner of the intersection of Bow and Main Streets. The building sat as an angle, as the current building does now. Can you think why they would place the building this way? ___________________________________________

8. Old Town Hall & High School

Samuel Adams Holbrook gifted the land bounded by Bow Street, School Street, Park Street, and the railroad to the town of Freeport.  The easternmost part of the property is where Freeport's first high school was built. The Old Town Hall is still located on Park Street. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Park-Street-Area-P-Cunningham.mp3|titles=Old Town Hall & High School by Paul Cunningham] ___________________________________________

9. Derosier's Market

Derosier's Market is the oldest continually running business in Freeport. It was opened in 1904 as a grocery. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Derosiers-R-Wagner.mp3|titles=Derosier's by Richard Wagner] ___________________________________________

10. Frost Gully Pumping Station

The Frost Gully Pumping Station provided water to an array of buried water mains and strategically placed hydrants in Freeport. Fire was considered a major threat to the town's safety and prosperity. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Frost-Gully-Pumping-Station-A-Presgraves.mp3|titles=Frost Gully Pumping Station by Albert Presgraves] ___________________________________________

WOLFE'S NECK

View Freeport Heritage Trail - Wolfe's Neck in a larger map

11. Mast Landing

Most of the houses in the Mast Landing neighborhood date from 1800-1850, a period when the settlement had its greatest significance in Freeport's history. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Mast-Landing-Neighborhood-D-Coffin.mp3|titles=Mast Landing Neighborhood by David Coffin] ___________________________________________

12. Wolfe's Neck School House

From the late 1700s through the 1930s, Freeport schools were located convenient to the neighborhoods they served. At the height of their era, Freeport operated seventeen neighborhood schools. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Wolfes-Neck-School-D-Maybury.mp3|titles=Wolfe's Neck School by Dot Maybury] ___________________________________________

13. Captain Greenfield Pote House

The Pote House, one of Freeport's oldest buildings, is an excellent example of an eighteenth century salt-box design. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Pote-House-V-Noble.mp3|titles=Pote House by Verna Noble] ___________________________________________

14. Wolfe's Neck Farm

Wolfe's Neck Farm consists of 662 acres. Eleanor Houston Smith and Lawrence M.C. Smith, of Philadelphia, originally bought the property in 1947 as their summer home. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Wolfes-Neck-Farm-S-Smith.mp3|titles=Wolfe's Neck Farm by Sallie Smith] ___________________________________________

15. Means Massacre

In 1756, Thomas Means and his family lived along Flying Point Road in a log house and farmed in the vicinity. The story of the events that unfolded on May 10, 1756 is known as the "Means Massacre" and remains one of the most noted and traumatic events of Freeport's past. Listen to the audio for more details: [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Means-Massacre-Flying-Point-J-Mann.mp3|titles=Means Massacre Flying Point by John Mann] ___________________________________________

16. Flying Point School House

For many years one-room school houses provided the only educational experience available to the town's children. The Flying Point School House opened its doors for the first time in 1875, and closed them for the last time in the 1920s. [audio:http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Flying-Point-School-C-Rice.mp3|titles=Flying Point School by Cindy Rice]